::as told by rinchen lama::

22 January 2007

the taste in tastemaking

whew what a relaxing weekend. i managed to not get any cleaning done and i ate like a pig.
thanks to the moni-crew last supper bbq mexi-meal and sari's crab dinner extravaganza
In Other News:



Poor DJ Drama. Most of you have heard the news by now. And although I’m not one of his biggest fans, the saddest part from hearing this is: majority of the “pirating” music he was burning was probably his own cds (mixtapes)!!! ouch.

Anyways so then I read today’s NYTimes article on how there is going to be more of a crackdown from the RIAA [Recording Industry Association of America] on DJs selling/producing/pirating mixtapes. Whatever.
The Controversy/Hypocrisy/Idiot Perspective on that:
Most of these senior executives at the major record labels sometimes pay top DJs to create and distribute mixtapes featuring the label’s rapper as part of a “hype” mechanism. HELLO. Not only that for a music fanatic like myself I often use mixtapes as “cred” on what the actual single or album of a particular artist is going to be like. Since it’s usually before full albums are released.
I mean yeah its easier now to put out a mix-burned-CD then your “old-skooool” mixtape but mixtapes have been around forever!
Alright that’s all I have to say about that. I hate when I start sounding like those old hip hop geeks who are all about the “old-skooool golden era” but for real I had to rant about this, isn't this shit pretty fucking lame?

Anyways, I quickly got over hearing this news when I saw that the lineup for Coachella was released today!!!
I was also thinking I would be a bit “too cool for school” in that after attending SXSW, Coachella would seem soooo my-nuuut.
EEEEEH WRONG.
They’re extending the festival for 3 days this year and its only an hour flight away! Real Talk: this is a REALLLY GOOD LINEUP. Who’s going with me?

1 comment:

crocodile done deal said...

oooh girl talk!! oh, and the other five thousand bands/djs/groups too.

workinonit!

Blog Archive